June 14, 2012

General Membership Meeting Minutes 06-14

June 14th, 6:30 p.m. – 8:45 p.m.
East Phillips Park Cultural & Community Center, 2307 17th Ave S.
EPIC web address: http://www.eastphillips-epic.com/index.html
Office: 2536 18th Avenue S., Minneapolis, MN 55404

Board Members Present:  Carol Pass, Jenny Bjorgo, Steve Struthers, Earl Simms, Mary Gonsior, Rosie Cruz, Linda Leonard,
EPIC Members:  Brad Pass, Hindolo Pokavra, Ali Macalin, Pat Fleetham, Doug Wise, Margaret Kirkpatrick, Peggy Clark, Hannah Lieder, Annie Young
Board Members Absent:  Jose Luis Villaseno
Guests Present:  Doug Wise, Shirley Heyer, Lauretta Towns, Shirley Heyer,

6:45    Introductions:
·      Greetings and Introductions.
·      Approval of Agenda (approved)
·      Approval of Minutes from EPIC 5/10/2012 General Membership Meeting, Note: please add board members who are “absent”. (cp, ss, approved).

6:40    Announcements:
·      Court Watch – June 15th. If you want to help fight crime, you may want to come.
·      Criminal Justice Meeting: Wed. June 20th, 5:30 pm, St. Paul’s Church, 15th Ave. & 28th St. determining new crime control focus area and more.
·      East Phillips Park Soccer and Baseball Fields Ground-breaking, Thursday, July 12th, 4:30 to 6:00 pm, just preceding the EPIC meeting.
·      Waite House has a new computer lab in their new site in the Phillips Community Center,2323 13th Ave. S. They are holding holding a computer lab open house on Friday, June 22 from 10:30am-1pm. Come for coffee and snacks, a tour of the facility and information about all the programs.
·      Banyon programming starting JUNE 6TH FOR 1ST GRADERS AND KINDERGARTENERS

7:00             EPIC/NRP/CEE Phase II Housing Program
·      HomeOwner Rehab support program, Home buyer assistance and emergency loans all to be ratified by the community– Doug Wise
·      Foreclosure intervention coming soon…

MOTION: BP, JB. Approve the agreement with CEE for EPIC Phase II Scope of Services. Passed unanimously.

Doug distributed a draft for the EPIC Foreclosure Prevention Loan Program and Scope of Services with PRG. This program is designed to help people who “fall through the gap”; those who don’t qualify for other assistance that is available. CP mentioned that this is a tiny pool of money, but PRG believes some people could benefit from this program.

7:20     EPIC Finances
We need to roll over our CPP money and new grant from the city. We have not begun to spend all this and need a board vote with community support to retain it. The new procedures are difficult to say the least. Also need to consider a new task force for community engagement on how we choose to spend this new money.

Linda asked if the neighborhood could grab a house or a building for an office – can any of our funds be used to purchase property to maintain an office? Would this be a sustainable objective?

Carol presented an overview of two sources of funding (NRP – (money from Phase I Already allocated and spent); NRP Phase II dollars $322,000 allocated by community vote and un spent, CPP (Community Participation Program) $58,000 from City’s general fund with an additional $29,000, (money from general fund under new NCR dept.) now EPIC has a additional source of funding, $123,000, which is NRP Phase II money.

Q. Does this change what we can do with this money? CP: this last batch can be spent on capital expenses, buildings, etc. the same as the initial NRP.

MOTION: Combine what we haven’t spent of our CPP1 funds ($71,707.69) and add this to the new funds from CPP2 ($123,934); tell NCR we want to roll CPP1 funds forward to spend them in 2012-2013. JB, RC Passed with 1 abstention (PC).

MOTION: Establish a committee to present a draft plan to the general membership by August 9. PC, MK passed unanimously.

People signing up for Task Force: Carol Pass, Peggy Clark, Jenny Bjorgo, Rosie Cruz, Pat Fleetham, Brad Pass, Hindolo Pokavra, Earl Simms

7:40       Update on EPIC supported programs & Minneapolis Swims: The POOL & fund raising

Hannah gave an update on the POOL and fundraising. We really need to raise money and we need “all hands on deck”.

8:00   Smith Foundry and Bituminous Roadways
CP phoned the person who does air-testing who agreed to conduct testing around Smith Foundry and Bituminous Roadways. CP believes we need to petition the city, county and state to enforce existing environmental laws. AY described this as an “environmental justice battle”, which is not new for our neighborhood. Recommends that we form a task force to address this problem, and also form a coalition with others who have expertise and experience. AY would be willing to work with a task force on “procedures”.

1.     Find the existing air quality permits.
2.     Find the “good neighbor agreement”, city ordinances.
3.     Enlist the help of environmental advocates of MN.
4.     Enlist legal help (students at William Mitchell Law School, U of M Legal Clinic)
5.     Enlist the help of neighborhoods (Corcoran to start).
6.     Remember that these businesses have been here 80-90 years.
7.     You must also take on Dalsin and include them in this action.
8.     Remember, these companies have done good things for the neighborhood.
9.     Remember, these companies have lawyers.

People signing up for the Task Force: Steve Struthers, Annie Young, Pat Fleetham, Margaret Kirkpatrick,

2600 Alliance Housing Project …Next steps….
·      Petition Drive
·      Respond to Funders and CPED
·      Apply for a temporary moratorium as Linden Hills did. Consult with them.
·      Do a small area plan.

MK had a conversation with Gary Schiff about this project, asking why the city was supporting this project. He said that with all the foreclosures, people are buying up housing for their family members. He said the City is trying to assist with housing for elderly who are newly “homeless”, due to apartments going into foreclosure.

8:20   Crime – Progress or Regress?? New difficulties, Problem Houses
·      Situation with Impact Statements
·      Don Greeley- response
·      What to do??

8:45   Adjournment

June 2, 2012

Board Meeting Minutes 06-02

June 2nd, 2012, Saturday, 10:00 am

East Phillips Park Cultural & Community Center, 2307 17th Ave S
EPIC web address: http://www.eastphillips-epic.com/index.html
Office: 2536 18th Avenue S., Minneapolis, MN 55404

Present: Carol Pass, Linda Leonard, Steve Struthers, Brad Pass Rosie Cruz, Earl Simms, Jose Luis Villas, Jennie Bjorgo   Guuest: Shirley Heyer,

10:00             Introduction:
·      Approval of Agenda (cp, mg; approved)
·      Approval of Minutes from EPIC Board Meeting, (not presented)

10:10    Announcements: 
·      EPIC Membership Meeting:  Thursday, June 14th, 6:30 PM, the East Phillips Park Center,
·      Phillips Community Parks Initiative meeting June 20th at 9:30 AM at EPPCCC
·      Urban Solution to Pollution July 22nd 1:00 to 4:00 at EPPCCC

10:20   Phase II Housing Contract with CEE- Doug Wise,
·      Housing Rehab Loans – Loan Pool - $90,000.00, Lottery??? Discussion: Contents? Marketing?
·      Foreclosure Assistance Loans – Loan Pool 

Reviewed changes from last time.
East Phillips Rehabilitation Deferred Loan Program
·      Removed any requirement for a match
·      Title changed from “deferred” to “rehabilitation deferred”
·      Loan Term: all provide for repayment on sale; no payment required on refinancing

East Phillips Homebuyer Deferred Loan Program
·      Dropped “first time homebuyer” requirement

East Phillips Emergency Deferred Loan Program
·      Added “program intent”; clarify that this is a backup, last resort loan
·      Changed minimum loan from $500 to $1,000

General Conditions and Procedures
·      CEE will not be involved in a lottery; EPIC can conduct a lottery, but the “application” would not be completed as part of the process.
·      EPIC would write a “scope of services” for these loan programs. EPIC has to really market these opportunities.

Goals for marketing the program:
1. what is the best way to get the underrepresented, underserved, who most need this, to get there?
2. how much work is the survey, going door to door? Mailer’s and email doesn’t get these people.
            a. language barriers
            b. people like lotteries (popular appeal)
            c. still have to door knock
Doug’s proposal: On our scope of work with CEE, we basically state that the neighborhood will do the marketing based on a marketing plan they develop, that reaches underserved people, and the marketing plan will address fairness, and reaching underserved groups.
Steve pointed out that we only need to reach homeowners. Jenny is willing to door-knock, translate, sign language, etc., and leave information. Luis suggested that we can go to where people go – such as church services, etc. Can we “start” the application process at these information settings – at the lottery. Linda suggested that we consider written announcements in various languages in church bulletins, mosque’s etc. Maybe select 4 sites, etc. Luis added that we could recruit volunteers through these sites also.

MOTION: MG, CP. On our scope of work with CEE, we basically state that the neighborhood will do the marketing based on a marketing plan they develop, that reaches underserved people, and the marketing plan will address fairness, and reaching underserved groups. Passed.

Shirley asked what plan EPIC has to manage complaints. EPIC will consider adding something to the marketing plan to address complaints.

Foreclosure Prevention Program, Scope of Services
There is $20,000 allocated for this program; about $2,000 is set aside for producing marketing materials (PRG) and it would be up to EPIC to distribute materials. Additional amount would be set aside for administration, hopefully less than 10%. Amount left for distributing loans would be around $16-17,000.

10:40             Board Business: Finances, Election of Officers –
Look at Bylaws, Roberts Rules

MOTION: Approval of the Form 990 which was filed by EPIC. (MG, SS) Passed.

MOTION: CP will continue as president; mg will continue as VP and Treas. And Linda is nominated for Secretary. Passed.

Steve wonders if he is actually, legally on the board. We need to check the minutes.

11:00   Soccer Field Update

Brad gave an update on the development of the soccer field. The gas company has agreed to come in and replace the gas main from one end of the park to the other, so we can put down the AstroTurf. Will start near the end of June, and will take three weeks, leaving just enough time for the Park Board to finish the AstroTurf project this summer.

11:10             The EPIC Community Garden group elected to have any EPIC board member be able to sit in for the quorum. Perhaps someone (and an alternate?) should still be designated.  We should discuss this. This change is to help avoid an inability to have a quorum if the person or people who were designated are not able to attend. See the attached.
11:20    Land Use and Environment Issues:  2600 17th Ave. Alliance Petition, Smith Foundry, Bituminous Roadways, Abbott Hospital permit change. Get Tech Support Doc.
MPCA and Abbott Hospital’s permitting process the Clark/Berglin Environmental Justice Bill
Cumulative Impact Requirement – Connected to the change in Bituminous Roadways
·      Daniel Huff was surprised to learn that there is NO air monitoring regarding the Smith Foundry, Bituminous Roadways, etc.
·      Abbot Hospital was not aware of the Clark/Berglin law.

11:30            Crime Concerns: Crime Rate  Increase,  Actions
·      Crime has increased 34% in East Philllips –    CP handed out resources for crime information
·      It is critically important thing to call 911 with specific addresses, license plate numbers and descriptions of perpetrators – even if there is no apparent response from the police.
·      Don Greeley must help with problem property letters demanding a “Management Plan”.
11:55   Adjournment