June 14th, 2018, 6:30 – 8:50
East Phillips Park Cultural & Community Center, 2307 17th Ave S.
EPIC web address: eastphillips-epic.com
Office: 2536 18th Avenue S., Minneapolis, MN 55404
Phone: (612) -280-8418
Board Roster: Rosie Cruz, Laura Dale, Mary Gonsior, Tom Harris, Cassandra Holmes, Linda Leonard, Carol Pass, Linda Vermillion, Abah Mohamed
Board Members Present: Laura Dale, Mary Gonsior, Tom Harris, Cassandra Holmes, Linda Leonard, Linda Vermillion.
Board Members Not Present: Rosie Cruz, Abah Mohamed, Carol Pass
Members Present: Brad Pass, Michael Green
Guests: Shirley Heyer, Cassandra Meyer, Kameron Lindsey, Mohamed Cali
6:30 Social Time/ Greetings and Introductions
MEETING AS A COMMITTEE OF THE WHOLE: 6:53
6:53 Approval of Proposed Agenda: Approved with correction “next planning meeting is Tuesday, June 19th at 11:30 am.” BP, LD.
Approval of May 10th General Membership Draft Minutes: Approved with Correction “attendance/members: Brad Pass”. BP, MG.
· SummerFest will be Sunday, June 24, 2018. The next planning meeting is Tuesday, June 19th at 11:30 am.
· The next general membership meeting will be Thursday, July 12, 2018 6:30 pm.
· Garden Steering Committee meeting TBD – look for an announcement.
· Court Watch DATE CHANGED to Friday, June 15th, 10:30-11 am. 2100 Bloomington Ave.
o Looking for impact statements.
· QUORUM ACHIEVED: 7:03
· Cassandra Meyer, lives next to EPIC and works for city of Minneapolis (here as a neighbor) with Smith Foundry permit application update. Once the application is updated, there will be public information process/public input opportunities. Effort is to establish that cumulative effect of improvements will not negatively impact he community. She is also working with Bituminous Roadways.
· Somali celebrations. Good place to visit on both days, Mall of America.
o EID (Holy Day), Say “Eid Mubaarak” tomorrow (Friday, June 15th.)
o New mosque at 27th and Bloomington.
o Somali American Independence Day, July 1st – Lake St. will be closed from Nicollet to Pleasant Ave.
· Job Corps – flyer distributed and available at EPP. Info sessions available regarding free career training for youth ages 16-24. Call 612.790.0470.
· American Indian OIC – free career training and certifications available.
7:35 More on Swimming passes for East Phillips Youth - Linda Leonard
The board discussed providing a limited number of swim passes for use in rewarding youth on a weekly basis this summer. EPIC has allocated $2,500 for swim lessons, but with only 5 children signing up for tis summer, perhaps we could allocate a portion of this money to purchase passes for teen workers.
MOTION: Whereas the funds set aside for summer swim lessons have not been spent, EPIC expands the parameters for spending these funds to be accessible for programming that has been arranged through Jeanne at EPP, and Minneapolis Aquatics which promotes swimming safety and recreation for EPIC residents, young or old, including up to 10 swim passes/coupons to be distributed as prizes at EPIC’s Summerfest celebration. MG, LD, Approved.
7:55 The Community Garden – Plots are still available with “pure country dirt". The garden serves people who live, work or own property in East Phillips. There are 6 plots available, include one large plot and one small plot. You can contact Brad Pass at 612-916-8478.
8:00 Progress on the East Phillips Indoor Urban Farm project- Things you can do. (Flyer distributed)
You can Help! Please contact and express your support of the East Phillips Indoor Urban Farm Project at the former Roof Depot Site in South Minneapolis:
· Your City Council Member and others you know;
· Our Mayor;
· Your Hennepin County Commissioner;
· Your State Representative and Senator
· Your Green Zone Representatives (request that the Green Zone Committee include in their findings a statement of strong support for the project.
Please send copies and results of your communication to:
Carol Pass, Board Chair of EPIC
2436 18th Ave S, Minneapolis, MN 55404
Attend the Green Zone meeting on June 19th.
8:15 Help Plan the EPIC SummerFest – Volunteer to set up! June 24th. A Day of Local Music by your neighbors! Talent Show for kids and youth! Food, etc. Bring your ideas and any musicians’ names you know.
This event is about the community coming together and celebrating the park that we built together. We need volunteers to help set up and clean up. City is donating bicycles to nonprofits and EPIC has 5 excellent bikes to give to those who sign up to volunteer. Contact Brad Pass at 612-916-8478.
8:15 Any Summer Issues you want EPIC to deal with…especially if you want to help!
LL will be volunteering as McGruff at Summerfest and is looking for someone to give her a break during the festival.