March 5, 2011

Board Meeting Minutes 03-05

March 5th, 2011, 10:00 am
Welna Hardware Board Room
EPIC web address:
Office: 2536 18th Avenue S., Minneapolis, MN 55404

Present: Carol Pass, Jenny Bjorgo, Rosie Cruz, Mary Gonsior, Linda Leonard, Earl Simms,
Residents: Brad Pass, Chiffon Williams, Rep. Karen Clark
Guests: Kasa Hohenstein, American Indian OIC student, Brad Pass. Tim Lott,

10:00    Introduction:
·     Approval of Agenda (approved)
·        Minutes from EPIC Board Meeting Minutes 2/5/2011 (approved)

10:10    Announcements
·         EPIC General Membership Meeting, March 10th THURSDAY
·         At the new EPPCCC, 6:30 pm
·         Every 2nd Thursday is reserved for EPIC from 6:00 - 9:00 PM for the next 5 years.
·         Check out the slide show of the Grand Opening of the East Phillips Park Community Center on our website, The web address is EastPhillips-EPIC

10:20    Park Board Public Meeting to Review the Athletic Field Designs

Even if we have to make slightly smaller than Olympic size playing fields, all groups would compromise to accommodate separate playing fields for baseball and baseball (as opposed to overlapping fields.) There will be one baseball field and two soccer fields. The soccer fields can also be used together to create an Olympic sized field. All parties have come on board with this plan, and now the Park Board asked EPIC to hold a public meeting. The Park Board will take the first 15-20 minutes of the Mar. 10 EPIC meeting.

Discussed fencing. There is going to be a problem with overuse of these facilities. Critical importance is to maintain these fields - grass, etc. The Park Board will be in favor of fencing in order to facilitate scheduling of use, watering, and maintenance. There will be some fencing along the highway side. Other fencing has not been discussed in terms of restricting access to the fields.
Motion: (CP, RC) EPIC will clarify the PB's intentions regarding fencing, prior to the hearing, and forward them the questions that came up at this meeting. Passed.
 Fencing, overuse, scheduling, public availability.
10:30     Park Programs that are going…and new ones coming...EPIC youth programs.
EPIC submitted a grant application to CURA/NPI for $10,000 to assist the Somali Amer Community(SAC), EPIC and Midtown neighborhoods agree in the grant to organize to identify and prioritize problems, carry out solutions, and build leadership in the community. CP pointed out we may not get this grant. At present the Somalis are facing a lot of issues. CP suggests that we begin our plan to collaborate with various groups as stated in our CPP Plan, especially SAC.

Motion: (LL/JB)  EPIC agrees to assist the Somali American Community (SAC)by collaborating in community organizing to seek solutions for their issues and assist in their youth sports, crime control and other issues by forming an agreement for use of the 2011 CPP funding of $2,000 set aside for this purpose in our CPP grant. Passed

Security Concerns, some gangs turning up at the basket ball courts..warm weather. Some bullying

Motion: (LL, JB) EPIC requests that the park issue adult ID's for this CSA for the purpose of tracking adult participation, encouraging family participation, increasing security, notification of programs, and registration of programs. Passed.

Motion: (LL, JB) EPIC encourages our CSA to intentionally schedule and promote family-based, intergenerational programming and activities. Passed.

These motions will be directed to Director of our CSA, Director of EPPCCC, and the PCPI, and ratified by the EGM.
Programming: Big Brothers, Big Sisters, Youth Martial Arts, and Park Board programs are starting to run. EPP Programming Partnership will start in April.

10:30     Phillips Community Pool.

A map of existing pools in the Park system exist in affluent neighborhoods. The map highlights the unequal access of lower income residents to a foundational life skill for health, safety and education through swimming. Support for bonding/funding for the Phillips Community Pool is being solicited and is looking hopeful.

10:35       NRP Business  Survey and Focus Groups  for Phase II -

Jenny and Chiffon are making good progress on the business survey, as well as publicizing the activities of EPIC. CP distributed copies of the final residents' survey and asked for comments to be submitted to CP. CW reported that the home-daycare operators expressed much more concern about neighborhood issues, as they are living in the neighborhood as well as operating businesses in the neighborhood. Surveying and outreach going well.

10:50       NRP Legislation:
The neighborhoods on the NRP policy board have drafted a bill to try to lobby through the legislature to stop the city from taking money from all the neighborhoods. We are going to work on lobbying, Sen. Kelash (Senate), Rep. Mullery (House) are authors. The next step, if this fails, is to file a lawsuit.

11:00     Housing and Redevelopment-  
·   Greenway Apartments-
·      reviewed several plans proposed by BKV group, discussed suggestions for improvement.
·   2620 17th Avenue S.-
·      Nice house - it has 4 br, large yard, nat. woodwork. working with PRG to try to save.
·      Motion: (CP, JB) EPIC supports saving existing housing in East Phillips and having time to find developers to rehab. Passed.
·         2428 16th Avenue S.-
·         City owns this house and wants to sell to Habitat for tear-down and replacement.
·        EPIC's questions: is there a garage? can the roof-line conform to EPIC goals. is it worth it to tear down   a house to replace it?
·         CP and Brad will request access to the existing building.
·         Motion: (CP, JB) EPIC will amend our Housing Requirements to include energy conservation and green development. Passed.

11:15     Opening of the garden listserve

The first garden meeting will be April 9th at 9 AM at the garden. Must be there to sign up for a lot. CP expressed hope that the garden committee would encourage diversity in the group of gardeners.

11:25    Getting ready for the Annual Meeting - We hope to hold the annual meeting on April 30th at the new park building. We have funds this year for music and food this year.
11: 30    Adjournment