July 2nd, 10:00 am -12:15
East Phillips Park Cultural & Community Center, 2307 17th Ave S.
EPIC web address: eastphillips-epic.com
Office: 2536 18th Avenue S., Minneapolis, MN 55404
Phone: (612) 280-8418
Board Roster: Jenny Bjorgo, Rosie Cruz, Laura Dale, Shawna Dillon, Mary Gonsior, Kristin Hanks , Linda Leonard, Margarita Ortega, Carol Pass.
Board Members Present: Laura Dale, Mary Gonsior, Margarita Ortega, Carol Pass, Rosie Cruz.
Board Members Not Present: Jenny Bjorgo (E), Shawna Dillon (E), Kristin Hanks (E), Linda Leonard (E).
EPIC Members: Brad Pass
Guests: Shirley Heyer
· MOTION: Meeting as a committee of the whole, by concensus.
· Greetings and Introductions.
· Approval of Agenda: approved as amended, by concensus.
· Approval of Minutes from June 4th, 2016: MO, CP, Approved.
- Community Meeting on the Roof Depot site, Greg Goeke from Public Works, Alondra Cano, Rep. Karen Clark, This is a very important meeting for the future of East Phillips. Meeting will be July 11th at 6:30 pm at EPPCCC.
- Next EPIC Membership Meeting, July 14thth, East Phillips Park, Thursday 6:30 pm.
- Next EPIC Board meeting, August 6th, East Phillips Park, Saturday, 10:00 am.
- National Night Out, August 2nd (Tuesday)
o MOTION: EPIC will spend up to $1,000 supporting registered block club parties for NNO, up to $100 per event. Funds cannot be used to reimburse for food, or entertainment, but can be used for flyers, paper goods, craft supplies, surveys, chair rentals. Receipts are required. CP, LD, Approved.
- EPIC Garden update. Garden has 34 plots and has collected $600 plot fees and $35 key fees; there are 11 unpaid plots; collected $80 in donations. Current balance $ Spent $ Balance $474.30. Water bill will be paid, Fall Harvest Party (Oct. 15), and any tools needed. Work groups are repairing fences, and a Seward Coop grant will cover the cost of fence repair, upgrading the paths, and youth work project stipends. Work group scheduled July 16th at 10 am, board members are welcome to join.
- Report on SummerFest; This was a great success this year. The date worked better (previously was on Father’s Day.) Focused entertainment on local youth talent, and started with 3 young girls singing Let it Go (Frozen). The performances were wonderful! Holy Rosary prepared wonderful food and proceeds were used to help pay for the roof replacement at the church. There were many activities for youth (dream catchers, origami paper folding, and more.) The wrap up meeting was held and plans are already being made for next year (the 2nd Saturday of June.) The event was very wholesome, all the music was positive toward the entire community. There is a new “Minneapolis sound”.
11:04 Meeting as a Quorum. Approved previous motions.
11:06 Shoui Tsai, a long-time East Phillips resident, passed away.
Shoui lived across the street from the 17th Ave Garden. He has a brother in New York. There will be a memorial for him July 7th at 5:15 pm in the Holy Rosary dining room. This will be informal and short. There will be a planning event on Tuesday, contact Brad Pass.
MNDOT was finishing phase 3 of a 3 part study. The “trench” including the bridges and tracks received historic designation in 1912-1916. In recent years, some nearby buildings have occurred impinged on the trench, and these changes may affect the integrity of the historic designation. Many of these changes are up in the Uptown area. This is a money problem. The MNDOT is responsible, and they want to get rid of the designation. The city would either replace the bridges or turn them into walking bridges.
MOTION: EPIC supports the retention of vehicle traffic on all the bridges over the Midtown Greenway trench. CP, RC, Approved.
Note: 35W and East Lake St. needs to be rebuilt from 46th Street to the 94 curves. The planning has been completed. The design is going to dump a lot of traffic onto E. 28th Street, and the construction was to be completed before the Minneapolis Superbowl (2018). The legislature did not fund this project.
11:30 20 year master plan for the parks
The soccer fields have the old tire rubber chips – these are very smelly and give off some bad stuff when it gets hot. We will need some money to replace those chips with nontoxic material at some future point. There will be a comment period once the 20 year plan is completed.
11:33 Update on the Speed Bumps and CamerasEPIC turned in our money for the speed bumps and the contracts are in process. Cameras are already funded in EPIC’s budget. MO will set up a meeting with Gary Nelson, CP and RC.
11:41 LOST QUORUM: Meet as a committee of the whole.
Meeting with Public Works, Monday, July 11th. 6:30 pm at EPPCCCMinneapolis has purchased the Roof Depot site. The city council authorized Public Works to hire an architect to study the building and design something. The city agreed to consult with the neighborhood how to develop this property. EPIC should have opportunity to participate in the planning/design. EPIC needs to do research on past meetings. We need to get people to this meeting, we need to flyer. We know we want the indoor urban farm; we spent $10,000 on this project.
11:52 Review of EPIC 2015 Annual CPP Report
CP distributed a first draft of EPIC’s 2015 annual report. CP will deliver final draft to board members by Wed. July 6th. Board members will read and respond by Wed. July 13th. Final report will be distributed to board members by Wed. July 20th. Vote on final report at August meeting. CP will update the heading on this report to read “2015 Annual CPP Report”.
12:05 Consider New Neighborhood priorities
Table to next month. Prepare for discussion.
We have three financial guiding documents:
1. EPIC Phase 2 NRP,
2. New Organization Budget, and the
3. New CPP Priorities:
a. Filling our vacant lots with new ownership
b. Crime and Safety
1. CPP wants our ideas for 2017 priorities (in addition to carrying out our existing funded priorities
2. EPIC currently has no funding in place for these new priorities. Even though there may not be any funding, we hope to receive at least organizing funding.
NOTES: EPIC knows we have specific recurring events: SummerFest, Clean Sweep, NNO, Fall Harvest Party. Suggestion: We make a calendar and budget for these events.