EPIC Board Meeting Minutes
October 5th 2019, 10am – 12pm
EPIC web address: eastphillips-epic.com
Office: 2433 Bloomington Ave., Minneapolis, MN 55404
Phone: (612) -280-8418
Board Roster: Rosie Cruz, Laura Dale, Mary Gonsior, Cassandra Holmes, Shontal Lajeunesse, Abah Mohamed, Carol Pass, Steve Sandberg, Sarah Santiago.
Board Members Present: Laura Dale, Mary Gonsior, Cassandra Holmes, Steve Sandberg, Sarah Santiago, Rosie Cruz, Abah Mohamed
Board Members Not Present: Shontal Lajeunesse (E), Carol Pass (E)
Members: Brad Pass, Frank M. Afflitto
Guests: Shirley Heyer, Stacy Sorenson, Rachel Cross Bailey
10:11 Agenda Approval, LD, StS, Approved
September Minutes Approval, LD, StS, Approved
· Next Community Meeting will be: Thursday, October 10th at 6:30 here at East Phillips Park
· Next Board Meeting will be: Saturday, November 2nd at 10am at the EPIC office (2433 Bloomington Avenue)
o Board Meetings are open to the public
· Next executive committee meeting will be the last Thursday of the month from 7-8 from now on, but October it would be Halloween – should we change it for that month?
o Open to public
o Add it to schedule that is published on web and in the Alley
· Clean Sweep - October 12th
o 9-10am sign in and free breakfast, get your free t-shirt and cleaning supplies
§ At either Welna (2438 Bloomington Ave S or Lutheran Social Services (enter on 24th street-2400 Park Ave S)
o 9am-noon CLEAN SWEEP!
o Noon to 1:30 free lunch, entertainment and family fun at Stewart Park – 2700 12th Ave S
· Harvest Garden Party Saturday, October 19th at 4:30. 2428 17th Ave S
o Brad is no longer able to lead this
o Cassie and Steve can help out with this, along with Frank
· Men Against Rape Culture and Breaking Free will be holding a 3rd BBQ on
October 12th at 3pm, at 25th and Bloomington
o for homeless Native youth and adults.
o A couple other service providers, such as needle exchange, no cops, will also be present.
o Meat, steak and chicken, will be paid for ahead of time
o People doing drugs and homeless people in this area have left recently, but concerned that an event like this will bring people back
o Tabled discussion for community meeting
10:23 Stacy Sorenson – onboard for the new housing contract
· This money must be used on housing:
· Home buyer assistance
o Owner occupants
· Emergency deferred strategy
o Owner occupants
· Deferred Rehab Loans
o Owner occupied or absentee owned
o Income limit
· All are 10 year programs – if stay in home 10 years, loan is forgiven
· All are 1-4 unit properties
· Consider income limits on all three programs
o Upper income level – i.e. 100% of area median income
o Stacy will let us know what our past guidelines were for income
· Takes a month for the city to get it together before community can apply for a deferred loan
· Executive committee will come up with proposal and board meeting will make motion
· Can also amend contract down the line if it’s not working for the community
· Stacy will let us know if there are renter assistance programs
10:56 Carol’s resignation
· Carol has not resigned, if she does resign, she will write a letter
· Need to start thinking about board members
o Continue to put in Alley what EPIC needs volunteers
· 15th of every month is deadline for Alley, what we want in the issue
o Mary will put the half page together this month
o Mary will get info what we owe to the Alley, how to pay etc.
11:08 CPP Application
· Carol had conversation with Bob Cooper, CPP contract has been signed, not much left to do with that
· Accusation from CPP that we aren’t getting money out to community, Carol argues that we are saving our funds intentionally
· Ask CPP for the documentation that proves we are out of compliance and what authority do they have to take away our money in email to NCR about meeting time
· Options for money:
o Would we be able to pay website person with this money if organization in East Phillips? Or paying someone to put Alley half page together ($100 per month)?
o Organizations from CPP application: Native Youth Arts Collective; Southside Learning Center; Somali Radio station; Hispanic Baseball League; Clyde Turner programs; EPNI; Latino and Somali soccer?
o Mike Goze (owns property) navigation site 2
o Sports youth team at LERA (Little Earth Red Bears baseball and basketball)
o NACDI – Native American organization doing voting and census for all of East Phillips
o Southeast Homes – Somali chemical awareness program
o Bike On community initiative
o Brass Messengers (band) – banner or youth music education
o Men Against Rape Culture
o St. Stephens
o East Phillips Community garden; park – cooking classes
o Park Board Aquatics
o Waite House
o Nutrition classes through the U of Mn
o East Phillips Cultural Community Center – programs for youth
o 25th street round about
o Raices Centro Cultural Chicano
o Speed bumps
o Proposal to enhance the properties EPIC has funded i.e. security cameras
o Southside Harm Reduction (syringe clean ups)
o Signage for EPIC
· When should we expect some money?
· Meeting with NCR – October 9th at 6:30 at LERA
o Office supplies for filing cabinets (files, hanging files); mailbox
o Utilities – Brad bring check book to board meeting
§ Tony would like utilities to be split in thirds
§ Mary will set up monthly payment going forward - $55-$60 per month
§ Should EPNI pay part of this?
§ Mary has paid Tony – a little over $600 for the past year
o Mailbox- contact Mark from Welna – Mary is doing this
§ Want a through the wall slot
§ This is okay with Mark from Welna
§ Expect to pay $300 for the box and for someone to install and a lock box
§ Will write up rules for lock box
MOTION: Designate $300 for the mailbox slot and for someone to install the slot, LD, StS, Approved
o Finance procedures – approved vendor list; procedures explaining who is doing what?
o Clean Sweep, harvest party – have we submitted checks?
§ Mary will sign check for clean sweep, harvest party will be later
12:10 MOTION: Extend meeting to 12:35 or earlier, MG, StS
12:21 Violence Prevention Grant
· Devika is no longer interested
o It was a fast turn around when the proposal was due
§ EPIC should have made it go to the board meeting first
§ EPIC did not recognize that the proposal was not with an organization and we don’t have the infrastructure to run our own programs
· What do we want to do?
o Would be very beneficial to the community
o Can the grant be passed onto another organization?
o Frank and Steve will investigate what our options are with the grant and report back to the board as soon as possible
12:38 Insurance - TABLED
· Appoint someone to take responsibility for insurance i.e. payments etc.
12:38 Review agenda request form and funding request form - TABLED
12:38 Logistics: TABLED
· Email transfer – has this happened, do we still want an email address that all EPIC board members have access to
· Minutes – make sure that people are checking for certain things (i.e. if something shouldn’t be made public etc.) when you are sent a draft agenda via email because if nobody responds with edits that is the version that goes online
· Board members please send agenda items (for both community meetings and board meetings) to Sarah before executive meetings each month
§ Any requests for October’s community meeting?
12:38 Green Zone money
· Southside Green Zone looking for residents, community-based organizations and organizers to submit proposals for $500-$10,000 that would increase community engagement on environmental health issues in the South Side Green Zone (SSGZ).
· Projects should align with the Council's priority areas of (1) Green Economy & Anti-Displacement; (2) Health in Energy & Housing; (3) Healthy Food Access; (4) Land Use: Air & Soil; and (5) Self-Determination and Accountability. Project focus should be on increasing engagement and capacity in the South Side Green Zone.
· Projects must be completed by December 31st, 2019. Please feel free to propose new short term projects, or apply for needed boost funding for existing projects.
· Deadline for proposals is THURSDAY October 10th
· Need a southside green zone committee member to vouch for you i.e. Cassie Holmes, Karen Clark
· Sarah will send it to the EPIC membership email list plus Frank
· Yard signs for the East Phillips Indoor Urban Farm
12:43 Bike On Program proposal
§ Permanent Bike On program
§ Need upfront money to become 501 c3
· Asking EPIC for a $999 grant that is contingent on getting the Green Zone grant
· Need come back to board with something in writing and will be on the agenda for November
12:54 Priority list – make sure someone is appointed where needed and number in order of priority TABLED