September 13, 2018

EPIC Community Meeting Minutes 09-13

September 13, 2018, 6:30 – 8:50
East Phillips Park Cultural & Community Center, 2307 17th Ave S.
EPIC web address:
Office: 2536 18th Avenue S., Minneapolis, MN 55404
Phone: (612) -280-8418

Board Roster: Rosie Cruz, Laura Dale, Mary Gonsior, Tom Harris, Cassandra Holmes, Linda Leonard, Carol Pass, Linda Vermillion, Abah Mohamed
Board Members Present: Laura Dale, Mary Gonsior, Linda Leonard, Carol Pass, Linda Vermillion
Board Members Not Present: Rosie Cruz(E), Tom Harris (E), Cassandra Holmes (E), Abah Mohamed (E).
Members: George Kennedy, Carol Hill-Kennedy, Brad Pass, Kelly Trius, Steve Sandberg, Margaret Kirkpatrick.
Guests: Shirley Heyer

6:30     Social Time/ Greetings and Introductions

6:55     Approval of Proposed Agenda: Approved by consensus with correction to starting time.
Approval of August 9th General Membership Draft Minutes: August minutes did not happen.
Approval of July 12th General Membership Draft Minutes: Tabled to next month.


7:00     Announcements: 

·       Monday September 24, meeting with Public Works 5:30-8:00 at East Phillips park.

             Everyone come, food provided

·       Next EPIC Board Meeting, October 6h at the EPIC office 10 o'clock Saturday

·       EPIC Community Meeting, Thursday,  October 11, 6:30 at the EP Park

  • All Phillips Clean Sweep-October 13th
  • Fall Harvest Party- October 20th

NO Quorum, meeting as a committee of the whole.

7:20     Updating our Finances- EPIC Financial Future – four financial goals
1)   EPIC needs to access administrative money to pay bills soon, i.e. rent, office supplies, Internet access.
2)   EPIC has traditionally sponsored programs for youth and we currently need to replenish those funds.
       3)   EPIC needs to make use of its old money and apply for new.CPP dollars or we could lose it.
       4)   EPIC tries to leverage our dollars whenever we can.

The board took three actions Saturday at the board. Two of them do not need our lengthy process of approval because they are not changing a previous strategy to a new one. They are just amendments to contracts (simply bringing them forward to new contracts which the city wants us to do.) We need to spend this old money out of a newer contract.

(1)   EPIC has traditionally sponsored excellent youth programs and we are currently out of money to do this. We are advised that the best way to continue this effort would be to take the $24,000 from the older youth programming category and amend our new programming contract to include this money, updating the money and making it simpler to spend. We will still have to bring individual contracts before the community to spend the funds, but it would eliminate one step.

A general membership vote is not required because the purpose for funds is not changing. However, members present made a motion to indicate support for the board’s action.

MOTION: Endorse the Boards’ action to take the $24,000 from the older youth programming category and amend our new programming contract to include this money. LL, LD, Approved.

This would add to the $1000 or so we have left.

(2)   PRG  has amassed considerable city and state funding potential to continue our home construction project. However as usual, it depends on their neighborhood partner. They need our funds to access this money and complete our housing project. We have $29,400 left and already available and dedicated by the neighborhood to this project.

We are advised to dedicate the $23,000 in Homebuyer Assistance to complete the requisite fund since foreclosure assistance comes through neighborhoods. This change does not need anything more than a board signature from us because its community engagement has been completed and no plan modification is needed.

A general membership vote is not required because the purpose for funds is not changing. However, members present made a motion to indicate support for the board’s action.

MOTION:  Add $23,000 from 1.4.2 EPIC’s Home Buyer Assistance fund with $29,400 CPP Neighborhood Priority dollars to complete the funds necessary for PRG to leverage matching funds from Minnesota Housing dollars to complete our Housing project. LL, LD, Approved.

(3)   Admin Funds are almost gone. To replenish them we are advised to take $25,000 from the Foreclosure Assistance fund into a full-fledged Plan Modification moving this money into our newer Admin Contract to provide for EPIC’s admin needs.

A transfer of funds from one strategy to another for $25,000 or less does not require the same level of engagement as a larger sum making it more efficient to get the… funds we need to pay our bills. These funds still must go through our rigorous review process to be spent.

This motion is a change in strategy therefore, requires a plan modification. The vote to review it tonight PLUS it requires a 21-day review process and final vote at our next community meeting.

While EPIC was unable to achieve a quorum for this meeting (3 board members were at hospital with family members), members present made the motion and voted to approve.

MOTION: EPIC chooses to transfer $25,000 from strategy 1.1.2 Foreclosure Assistance to EPIC’s new NRP Phase II Plan Admin Contract (#C-43629). MG, GK, Approved.

8:00      Take the EPIC survey developed by the board. What do you think? Is this a good tool to assess what people want?
Discussion of the survey took place.


MOTION: With a Quorum achieved, EPIC approves all motions passed by the committee of the whole. MG, LD, Approved.

8:15    Planning meeting for the annual Phillips Community Clean Sweep

MOTION: EPIC will spend $999 toward clean sweep event (and will be included as a sponsor on the T-Shirt.) LL, SS, Approved.

8:15   Update on permit process for Bituminous Roadway and Smith Foundry

MOTION: Invite MN Pollution Control agency to our next general membership meeting to give us a status update on permit process for Bituminous Roadway and Smith Foundry. SS, LL,

8:25  Roof Depot Site – Hiawatha Public Works Expansion Update. Where are we on the Indoor Urban Farm

The project we are seeking from the Roof Depot site requires 3 acres to be sustainable. We also need the portion of the building that the city plans to tear down, to make this project sustainable.

The community needs to show up IN FORCE on MONDAY, SEPTEMBER 24 for a

Meeting with Public Works 5:30-8:00 at East Phillips Park.

Link to Facebook page?

Q. There was an article in the paper suggesting that the Roof Depot site might serve as housing for these homeless people using FEMA trailers (1-2 years.)

Neighbors discussed the homeless situation adjacent to East Philips Park. The park board is considering allowing people to camp in the parks.

8:45  Adjourn